Lemon Meringue Cake

By 11:17 pm , ,

Next on my baking list was a lemon meringue cake. Lemon meringue pie is one of my all time favourite desserts and I always order it if it's a desert option on a menu, which got me thinking of how I could translate this into a cake.

I started off by baking three lemon sponges and then spread lemon curd in between each layer. I then covered the whole cake in meringue frosting, which was a first for me. Then using our newly purchased blow torch from John Lewis, I torched the top and sides of the cake to brown the frosting ever so slightly.

For the cake mixture I used duck eggs that I bought from our local farmers market, I'd heard they make cakes lighter than eggs from hens. The sponge was incredibly light and moist, however this might have had something to do with me leaving the sponge for a day in an airtight container before covering it in the meringue frosting.



I took the cake into work as Jason and I couldn't quite manage the whole thing by ourselves! All in all it was a resounding success, although I may have a put a bit too much vanilla extract in the frosting, a minor adjustment needed for next time! 

Recipe 

I adapted a Delia Smith recipe I came across online, here's a link to the original recipe, however I have included my adapted recipe below.

For the sponges -
265g Self raising flour 
265g Margarine 
265g Golden caster sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1.5 tsp Baking powder 

4 Duck eggs, lightly beaten
  1. Grease and line three 18cm circular tins.
  2. Preheat your oven to 160ºC.
  3. Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  4. Add in the eggs until combined.
  5. Add in the flour, baking powder, lemon juice and zest. The mixture may start to split, if this happens keep stirring the mixture, if it does not come together add a touch more flour.
  6. Divide the mixture evenly between the three tins and then place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
For the frosting -
As this is something that I had never attempted before and none of my recipe books had anything close to what I was after I scoured the internet for an easy-ish recipe, and I found this recipe. It's a great easy to follow recipe if it's your first time making meringue frosting.

As I made the frosting the night before and iced the cake in the morning I did as the recipe suggested and put the frosting the fridge over night. However, it did need re-whisking in the morning.

You Might Also Like

0 comments